31 Days of Halloween: Halloween Make-up Tips and Tricks
As Halloween quickly approaches, the majority of people tend to scramble for costume ideas. Any costume can benefit from a little make-up and does not have to be expensive or difficult to create. Most people are under the impression that you can only achieve the perfect look by purchasing expensive make up kits from various Halloween stores. This could not be further from the truth. Specifically, special effects make up can be made cheaply and out of common household items. Here are a few tricks that I have discovered over the years and will not drain your bank account.
- Make homemade face paint by combining 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, ½ teaspoon of water, ½ teaspoon of shortening, and 2 drops food coloring of your choice
- DIY white face makeup can be made by combining 2 teaspoons of white shortening, 5 teaspoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of flour, and 3-4 drops of glycerin (can be found at stores such as Walmart)
- Fake blood can be created by mixing 1 part water with 3 parts corn syrup and a few drops red food coloring to your liking – Extra tip: add 1-2 drops of blue or green food coloring for a dark and realistic touch.
- Create fake bruises by using eye shadow colors green, brown, red, yellow, blue and purple. If you do not have eye shadow you can use green, blue, purple, yellow and black markers. Color whatever spot you are trying to bruise and then take a few drops of hand sanitizer and smear over the area colored.
- Zombie make up can be achieved cheaply by using Elmer’s glue, toilet paper and face paint. Place a small amount of glue on the area of choice and then layer with a piece of toilet paper and dab on a little more glue. This method is similar to paper Mache and creates an effect that looks like your skin is falling off. Once the glue and toilet paper dry, paint your face and add fake blood as needed. Don’t worry, this peels off easily and is a lot less painful and cheaper than using liquid latex!
These tips and tricks are just a few of the techniques I have found that are inexpensive and easy for anyone looking for perfect special effects make up this Halloween.